In honor of it’s 47th anniversary, the 2016 Celebration of the Arts will not have a featured artist; instead we will be celebrating the Susquehanna River, as seen through the eyes of various artists and community organizations.
The beauty of the Susquehanna River has lent itself to gorgeous photographs and paintings over the past century, but the arts that we celebrate are so much more than that. 2016’s Celebration will showcase not only the river, but also all the ways that people love and appreciate the it – and how they show that attachment.
Some of the river-related events scheduled during this year’s Celebration of the Arts are:
- An invitational exhibit of paintings on the river theme will be at Faustina Gallery, 229 Market Street from mid-April through mid-May
- Special Poetry Path poem installations with a personal tour from the director of Bucknell University’s Stadler Center for Poetry, on Thursday, April 21
- The River Balloon Art Interactive Installation, created by Air Weaver Balloons of Sunbury: an oversize balloon sculpture in Soldiers Park Friday, April 22 and Saturday, April 23. Visitors will be able to add their own “drop” to the balloon river on Saturday during the Arts Festival.
- The Susquehanna Greenway Partnership will have a traveling exhibit of the winners of their annual photography contest, in Soldiers Park along the river.
- River-related Poetry Under the Paintings on Thursday, May 5, Faustina Gallery
The Celebration of the Arts is anchored by two main events:
The Arts Festival, Saturday, April 23rd, 2016 – art, entertainment, and food all along Market Street
Lewisburg Live!, Saturday, May 7th, 2016 – 8-10 bands in venues throughout downtown
Returning again this year: Plein Air Painting, April 24th – Plein air painting at various Merrill Linn Conservancy sites.
Directions to Lewisburg:
View Lewisburg, PA in a larger map. (Link takes you to a google map.) Click on the blue location indicator. This will bring up a separate box and then click on “directions”. This will take you to google.com/maps where you can enter your location and click the “Get Directions” button.
Please note: you will not be able to park on Market Street (Route 45) but look for parking signs along Route 15.